J. D. Murphree WMA - Big Hill Unit
The J.D. Murphree WMA is located near Port Arthur in Jefferson County, along the Texas and Louisiana border near Sabine Lake.
Thanks for subscribing!
Oops! Something went wrong.
About the lease
According to information provided by Texas Parks & Wildlife, here is a list of the game available to hunt during the legally designated hunting season(s) in Texas.
- Annual Public Hunt Permit ONLY.
- ALL Hunters must check in and out through the WMA check station and exit the WMA before noon.
- Check station opens at 4:30 AM.
- Early Teal: Each day of the Early Teal season. Hunters must register at the WMA headquarters check station located on State Hwy. 73
- South Zone Duck: Only on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and November 26 except no hunts held on Christmas Day or New Year's Day.
- May be taken during the seasons provided for these species during concurrent waterfowl hunts.
- Archery or Shotgun (slug or buckshot) only.
- Each day from Feb. 1- Apr. 30 (no bag limit).
- Shooting hours are one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset.
- No registration required.
- Use of dogs allowed.
- No Baiting.
- Inside Compartments: Open Feb. 1- Aug 31. Closed Sept 1-Jan. 31.
- Big Hill Bayou and outside ditches: Sept. 1-Oct. 31 and Feb. 1-Aug. 31. Closed Nov. 1-Jan. 31.
- Fishing is restricted to one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset.
- An APH or Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit is required to fish within the WMA unless all activity is confined to a boat within Big Hill Bayou, Taylor Bayou, Hillebrandt Bayou, and Blind Bayou.
- No commercial fishing/crabbing is allowed. No unattended lines.
- Trapping, use of horses, and water skiing is prohibited on the WMA.
- The use of airboats is prohibited, except in Big Hill Bayou and Blind Bayou.
- No more than 5 hunters per hunt party.
- Motorized access only on designated motorboat trails and named ditches.
- See check station map for “No Prop” zones and area closures.
- Motorboat operators are advised that disturbance of soils and plants on the WMA is prohibited.
- Entry to leveed compartments is permitted only at designated locations.
- “Jumping” levees is strictly prohibited.
- Access inside compartments is closed to all activities Sept. 1st-Jan. 31st, other than permitted hunters on designated hunt days and designated scouting days.
- Designated Scouting Days (the 7 days prior to the opener of the Youth Only South Zone Duck Season).
- Access to inside of compartments permitted for scouting purposes only.
- Scouting is restricted to one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset.
- Youth and Veteran/Active-Duty Military Only Waterfowl: See TPWD Outdoor Annual for Special Season information and regulations.
- Shooting hours end at noon.
- Youth/Adult Waterfowl: The First Saturday of each split of the South Zone Duck season and Dec. 22, 27, 29 and Jan. 28.
- All Hunts begin at 4:30 AM and end at noon.