2200 7th St, Bay City, TX 77414
Matagorda Island WMA
The Matagorda Island WMA consists of 56,688 acres of offshore barrier island and bayside marshes which is operated as a wildlife management area.
Thanks for subscribing!
Oops! Something went wrong.
About the lease
According to information provided by Texas Parks & Wildlife, here is a list of the game available to hunt during the legally designated hunting season(s) in Texas.
- Upland Unit: Only on Dec. 10-11, Jan. 7-8, 14-15, 21-22 and 28-29 provided that these dates occur within the South Zone Duck season dates. Shooting hours end at noon. Hunting of geese is prohibited. There are 17 available hunting sites on the island. Hunter check-in begins at 5:00 am and ends at 5:30 am. All hunters are transported to and from hunt sites by TPWD personnel. Hunters overnight camping on the island will be checked in the night prior to the hunt (e.g. Campers will be checked in Friday night for the Saturday morning hunt period). All other hunters will be checked in beginning at 5:00 am the morning of the hunt period.
- Bayside Marsh Unit: No APH Permit is required to hunt waterfowl. No check in or registration required. Waterfowl may be taken during the entire South Zone Duck season. Shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset. Airboats are permitted within the Bayside Marsh Unit only.
- No APH or LPU is required to fish.
- Shotguns with non-toxic shot are the legal means that may be used or possessed during these hunts.
- Matagorda Island WMA is only accessible by boat and there is no state provided transportation to or from the island.
- All visitor access is by chartered boat or private boat.
- The hunter check station is approximately 7 miles across Espiritu Santo Bay from Port O'Connor.
- An APH Permit is required to waterfowl hunt in the Upland Unit.
- An APH or LPU is required to camp in the campground adjacent to the check station.
- No daily permits will be issued.
- Hunters can call the Rockport office at (361) 790-0307 for information.